Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Oh for the Love of Humanity!

I was doing the Twitter this morning (tweeting just sounds weird) when I came across a link Mark Bittman provided.  Mark Bittman is a well respected food journalist and author, but I came to know and love him as Mario Batali's surly sidekick in Spain...on the Road Again.  It was a spectacular culinary road trip through a pretty steller country and I'll even forgive the fact that Gwyneth Paltrow made a few appearances (because Claudia Bassols more than made up for her fair share of estrogen).  I fell in love with this series, it aired on PBS and you can still find clips (the title above provides the link).  I also received the companion cookbook for a birthday gift last year and it is absolutely fantastic, I pretty much want to eat the pages (although that's not an unusual reaction for me).


The show made me come to respect Bittman as more than just a self-indulgent foodie who claims to know How to Cook Everything.  He's actually quite delightful and always hungry (that's why I think we may be kindred spirits) and his Food Matters series is the kind of thing that makes the hippy in me smile.  Anyhoo, back to doing the Twitter...he posted a link with this simple statement "You could not make this up: "sushi" produced from powder and water". This piqued my interest as I could easily consume my body weight in sushi on a fairly regular basis (no seriously...I've tried).




Why why why does this exist?!?!?  I don't care if it's actually candy!  It's downright disturbing!  Can you even imagine the number of chemicals that go into making such a monstrosity?  I bet you glow in the dark shortly after it enters your mouth.
Franken-food!

Ok, so the tobiko (flying fish roe...those little red balls toward the end of the video) is pretty intriguing and I do get a kick from molecular gastronomy (and maybe I want to order a box just for fun)...but seriously...Seriously!?!

Talk about foods that make you go hmmm....

Curious to know your thoughts.  Leave them in the comments below!

1 comment: