Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Obsession Tuesday!

It's Obsession Tuesday folks, the wonderful day of the week when I share a food related item that has me in a tizzy.  This week's item is often overlooked as simply an ingredient in a dip or topping on a salad, but it is so much more.  In fact, all by its lonesome it makes a wonderful snack.

I am conclusively, all together, heart and soul, obsessed with avocados.  They happen to be relatively inexpensive this time of year (my local market has had them 10/$10 for 2 weeks running) and are oh so delicious in the obligatory game day guacamole.  Being somewhat of a food purist (no fuss for me) I prefer to eat them like this:


Just a simple drizzle of olive oil, a few good grinds of cracked black pepper, sea salt, and a wedge of lemon to add a little zing. 

It's absolutely delicious and one of my all time favorite snacks.  I've been known to add a crusty piece of bread and a good hunk of cheese and call it a lunch.  Try it, you can thank me later.

And now a few little known facts about the mighty avocado:


The word avocado comes from the Aztec word for testicles due to their shape and the fact that they grow in pairs.  




It's also referred to as the alligator pear, which makes perfect sense when you consider the shape and that bumpy skin.



The avocado is a very successful cash crop for California where 95% of the United States avocado harvest occurs.

Like the banana it matures on the tree but ripens off the tree (bonus points, this is known as a climacteric fruit)

These little gems have 60% more potassium than bananas and are a source of heart healthy fats.


So eat up folks, the Governator will thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Where do you get yours? I have had decent ones and bad ones from a variety or stores so maybe it has more to do with the season / particular shipment.
    - Nate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually get mine at the Schnucks on the Hill. They are slightly on the small side and take about two days in a brown paper sack...but are oh so worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is exactly how I eat avocados! Yummy! I have a friend that lived in Puerto Rico for a few weeks and she'd buy a loaf of bread, pick an avocado off the tree outside of her hut and that was lunch for the day. My kinda livin'!

    ReplyDelete