Monday, August 30, 2010

Why I heart Jimmy Fallon, Modern Family, and George Clooney

Oh Emmy's how I wait for you all year long...maybe not with quite as much anticipation as the Tony's or let's be honest the booze-laden anything goes Golden Globes.  But you are always a bright spot in a mid-west summer that has gone on far too long leaving me grumpy and sweaty.  And you delivered again, as if there were any doubt (ok there may have been some doubt, I mean we are dealing with the same telecast that had the tragic co-hosting of Tom BergeronHeidi KlumHowie MandelJeff Probst, and Ryan Seacrest just a mere two years ago, and then there was the '97 show with Bryant Gumbel...really Academy...Bryant Gumbel?!?). 





First and foremost Jimmy Fallon was right.  He warned me on multiple occasions that trying to DVR the telecast could be hazardous to my health.  He urged not to attempt it or my DVR would wind up in a fiery ball of smoke and melty plastic.  Alas I did not head his warning.  I fancy myself something of a DVR master...I wear the remote control pants in this house (that actually doesn't make a lick of sense, but you know exactly what I mean).  I'm like the Obi Wan of DVR logistics..."these are not the shows you're looking for"  (sorry I couldn't resist!).  Well I think you all know where this is going.  Cut to 8:00 after a lovely dinner with friends and much to my surprise NO RED RECORDING LIGHT!  I'd inadvertently missed the opening number and most of the awards for Comedy.  Oh the horror.  So if you, like me, foolishly relied on your DVR and it failed you in a big way (or you're just really curious about my favorite bits) then without further ado I present to you the parts I had to youtube-that I wished I'd seen in real time-but still made me chuckle out of context the day afterward-and you should too-clips!


First there was this:
">


"Great I'm just workin on some sweet new dance moves with my new dance coach."
"Alright, now back that mother up!"

Could I possibly love Jon Hamm anymore?  Answer: un-possible!
Could Betty White BE any hotter right now?  Answer: ride that gravy train all the way to the bank Betty!

I'd like to personally thank Jimmy Fallon for the cameo appearance of one yummy Joel McHale...call me!

And then there was this:

One word: intra-network-cross-polini-cynergism

On a side note, every time I see George Clooney here is the immediate thought that pops into my mind: I bet he smells so good!

Lastly an in memoriam bit only Jimmy Fallon could pull off:

Ok, so there were some flops...the tweet generated intros didn't all work, Matthew Weiner was abruptly played off to cut to a commercial, Conan O'Brian was robbed of a very awkward acceptance speech, and much to the chagrin of men every where the cameras never panned to Heidi Klum sitting in her micro-mini and Christina Hendrickson did NOT have a wardrobe malfunction (but boy oh boy...June was bustin' out all over!).  

All in all I'd say it was one of the more entertaining Emmy's in the recent past.  Ricky Gervais even passed out booze to the crowd and Top Chef was finally rewarded for its awesome season in Vegas.  The Academy gave us two, count them two, opportunities to drool over George Clooney, and Modern Family won for Best Comedy (sorry Gleeks, but this show is seriously hilarious...if you don't watch you should start Wed. Sept. 22 on ABC...you can thank me later).  

Let me know what you thought of the show in the comments.  

2 comments:

  1. Ash, your In Memoriam link is a bust. I saw the show, and did you cry when they showed Grover hug Lena Horne? What is it about the muppets that do me in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the company was *excellent*

    ReplyDelete