Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Obsession Tuesday...Confectionary Edition!

Remember this (my Nutella obsession)?  Well what happens when you combine it with a wafer cookie and wrap it in two different kinds of chocolate...you get:

Magic!  Of Course!
I picked this little puppy up in the food section of World Market (which I am coincidentally also obsessed with).  The Bueno is brought to us by the good people of Kinder-Schokolade the German offspring of the Italian company Ferrero, you may know them for such gems as the ever popular Ferrero Rocher, my one true love Nutella, and...randomly...Tic Tacs.

I was, however, wholly unaware that anything quite this devine existed.

Mmmm...hazelnutty goodness
Each package comes with two sticks which is truly, in my humble opinion, about four sticks too few, but you know how those Europeans can be so figure conscious (oh fore-shame).

The Kinder-Schokolade website describes the Bueno as:

"Kinder BUENO is a fine composition from airy waffle and tender milk hazelnut cream - of two different kinds chocolate wraps. A pleasure experience seeming easy uniquely arises from it."


Which is a spectacularly botched German to English translation and kind of only makes me love them more.  It also comes in a white chocolate variety and has a tag line of "a little bit of what you fancy" I mean come on...how can you not love this thing?

World Market had several other Kinder products, so naturally my interest was piqued and I had to do some "research" (wikipedia and vendor website stalking).

For starters the Ferrero company is pretty kick-ass.  They seem to really give a hoot about their employees and even have a social initiative aimed at helping the health and education for children in all their factories' surrounding areas.

Secondly they also make something called the Kinder Joy:

A yummy treat...AND...a the beloved French comic figures Asterix and Obelix...yes please!
From what I gather from various descriptions it's egg shaped plastic that is internally divided into two halves.  One half contains two soft creamy layers one milk chocolate layer and one white chocolate layer.  The packaging contains a spoon which you use to scoop out said chocolate layers.  But the fun doesn't end there! Nestled ever so delicately in these chocolate layers are two round chocolate covered wafers that are filled with the same hazelnut creme found in the Kinder Bueno (I'm thinking something similar to the Ferrero Rocher). And just when you think this puppy couldn't get more exciting, you open the second half of the egg to find...wait for it...A TOY (score!).  Sadly in my vast amounts of "research" I discovered that the Kinder Joy has been banned in the United States...some bullocks about food safety and not mixing non-edibles with edibles.  Well for crying out loud why don't you just take away my birthday and Christmas while you're at it.

So my friends...very long story short if any of you loyal readers are planning on jumping the pond soon I'd be ever so delighted if you smuggled back a Kinder Joy...heck I'd settle for just about anything Ferrero or Kinder-Schokolade tells me to eat.

1 comment:

  1. Not to make you jealous but we have a vast range of Kinder products on offer here in the UK (although not as good as that of France and Germany). I've not seen the Kinder Joy but I did grow up eating Kinder eggs, which are the dual layer chocolate shell around a plastic capsule, which have a toy inside that you have to assemble yourself. So chocolate and learning, a winning combo!

    PS The Kinder Bueno has hideously sexist advertising here, which stops me from enjoying it as much as I would.

    ReplyDelete